Kristen Sedlacek is a part of Leadership Kearney Class 28 and is currently serving as the Youth Leadership Kearney Class 26 Co-Chair. Kristen works for the Nebraska State Education Association. To get to know Kristen more we asked her 17 questions. Read below to see her responses!
1. Who is your hero? My mother and father are my biggest heroes. They always put their family first, were incredibly successful in their careers and lived by their faith.
2. What is your biggest fear? My kids being seriously ill or hurt.
3. What is your favorite family vacation? Our family had a lake cabin as I grew up and my “happy place” is on a boat on the water. But our favorite family vacation was to Gulf Shores, AL. Give me sand and sun!
4. What motivates you to work hard? My family. Everything my husband and I do is for the betterment of our family.
5. What is your favorite thing about your career? Advocacy. I am so proud to advocate every day for public school students and staff.
6. What is your proudest accomplishment? I don’t have one thing of which I am most proud. I am proud of my many small contributions to my church and community. I feel like it’s the little things you do that make huge impacts!
7. What was/is your favorite part of Leadership Kearney? The entire experience has been amazing. I have made so many good friends and learning about all the Kearney
community has to offer has been remarkable.
8. If you could have one special talent what would it be? Drawing or painting.
9. What makes you laugh the most? My husband. He’s hilarious!
10. What was the last movie you went to? What did you think? Jumanji: The Next Level. I’m stuck at kids movies for a few more years. I go because it’s fun to spend time with the kids.
11. What did you want to be when you were small? A veterinarian.
12. If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be? I would be a famous singer
13. What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play? I love to watch football but love to play golf.
14. What would you sing at Karaoke night? What don’t I sing at karaoke? I prefer Pat Benatar and Lady Gaga but will sing anything asked of me!
15. Which would you rather do: wash dishes, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, or vacuum the house? Mow the lawn.
16. If you could hire someone to help you, would it be with cleaning, cooking, or yard work? Cleaning.
17. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Regardless of calories? Fettuccini alfredo!
18. Who is your favorite author? Fiction: Kristin Hannah; Non-Fiction: Dave Ramsey
19. What kind of car did you drive in high school? 1999 Red Nissan Sentra
20. Give a piece of Leadership advice you live by. John Maxwell once said, “To add value to others, one must first value others." I hope I embody that advice every day.